What is Animal Reiki?
What is Animal Reiki and how can it help my pets at home?
Traditional human Reiki, per the Oxford Languages dictionary, is “a healing technique based on the principle that the therapist can channel energy into the patient by means of touch, to activate the natural healing processes of the patient's body and restore physical and emotional well-being.”
Our system of Animal Reiki, although based on traditional Reiki, is hands-off and purely meditative. Our system is NOT human Reiki adapted for animals which is a very important distinction as many of the Animal Reiki schools take a human approach when offering Reiki to animals.
Animals need a specialized approach.
Created by Kathleen Prasad in 2004, the Let Animals Lead® method of Animal Reiki is a new system. It is based on six foundational pillars as follows:
- Based on Japanese Reiki techniques. (We use the foundational teachings of the precepts, meditations and self-healing but do NOT channel energy or have an intention to “heal”.)
- Uses touch only when animal-initiated. (Unlike human Reiki, we do not use hands or touch unless the animal comes up and presses their body into our hands. Even then it is a light touch and our minds do not go to our hands and “healing”.)
- Focuses on the animal’s perfection in the present moment. (We never pity the animal, we focus on a positive mindset that is devoid of trying to “heal” or “fix” what is wrong. Animals respond positively when they feel love and peace instead of worry.)
- Teaches meditation as the way of compassion. (We teach meditation as a way of letting go of anger, worry and ego which naturally creates compassion and removes pity.)
- Develops mindfulness with animals for peace and healing. (Meditation creates balance. When our energy is in balance, we are present. When we are present and free of attachment to an outcome or judgment of what could happen, animals trust us and will deeply relax in our presence.)
- Honors animals as healers and teachers. (Animals are more spiritually evolved than humans and we see them as the teachers, not as beings that need to be fixed by us.)
The Let Animals Lead® method of Animal Reiki is a mindful meditation practice (for you), done WITH the animals; it is not a therapy done TO them.
Our system is the original and oldest school of Animal Reiki and has been used globally with thousands of animals. It is currently being used to support the emotional needs of animals in shelters, competitive sports, veterinary clinics, and private homes around the world.
The techniques we teach and practice will transform a stressed, shut-down animal into an open, trusting one; it can take a competitive sports animal and improve their focus or love of the sport; it can bring relaxation and peace to all animals - but especially companion animals.
Unlike other Animal Reiki practices, we are not looking to “heal” or “fix” the animal. We are here to create a safe space where all animals feel safe, respected and loved. In this space, an animal can find support to release their emotional trauma.
We are not a replacement for training or behavior support. We work in conjunction with veterinarians and never interfere with their plan or diagnosis. We are not healers.
At Animal Bonds we are proud to practice and teach the Let Animals Lead® method of Animal Reiki.
Consider booking an animal Reiki session for your pet today! Or better yet, take a class to learn this amazing technique and start supporting all the animals in your life.